High School Programs
Trillium high school provides an enriched, challenging academic programme in a nurturing and stimulating learning environment. Students are encouraged to show initiative and leadership, and challenge themselves to reach their full potential.
Rigorous yet flexible curriculum is designed to help each student develop the skills and the confidence needed to attain success at university and their future careers. Each student is expected to successfully complete 30 credits from a variety of subjects in order to receive an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). There are 18 compulsory credits and 12 optional (elective) credits.
Focuses of our curriculum:
- Enriched and rigorous academic programmes
- Developing problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Preparing for post-secondary education
- Leadership training
- Learning respect for oneself, individuals and the community
- Developing a sense of responsibility
- Character education
- Outdoor education
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is designed to assess the language ability of students who need to study or work where English is the medium of communication. IELTS scores are accepted for enrollment at most colleges and universities across Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. The IELTS test is made up of four components: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
We offer intensive IELTS courses in small classes by experienced and qualified instructors.
Community involvement activities are part of the school’s program. Students must complete a minimum of 40 hours of community service as part of the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). The purpose of the community involvement requirement is to encourage students to develop awareness and understanding of civic responsibility and of the role they can play and the contributions they can make in supporting and strengthening their communities. Our local partnerships provide opportunities for students to earn community service hours in order to foster their sense of community, as well as social and global awareness
The Co-curricular programme is an important facet of school life. Exposure to a wide variety of life experiences helps to broaden students’ perspective and to make school life fun. In addition to regular school activities such as field trips and guest speaker forum, we offer an extensive array of co-curricular activities and after-school programs, both inside and outside of the classroom. Our goal is to deliver a curriculum that enables each student to become a successful learner, a confident individual and a responsible citizen.
Here is a sampling of co-curricular activities at Trillium:
- Special events such as plays, concerts, and gallery exhibits.
- Outdoor education
- Christmas Concert
- Overseas Experiences
- Adventure travel, cultural immersion, community service,
- Athletics: badminton, basketball, track & field and more
- In school presentations: art, drama, dance, science fair
- Discourse Analysis & Public Speaking
- Problem Solving & Mathematics
- Applied Science Workshops: specialized Robotics & Aerospace Education
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Students whose first language is not English may study English as a Second Language (ESL). We offer the ESL program to help advance international students’ English language proficiency. The program combines in-depth training in English language skills (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) at eight levels with a choice of electives to suit students’ individual needs. Electives include test preparation, language for business, and pronunciation. Students can enroll in part time or full time ESL programs.
We are committed to providing an immersive educational experience, especially for all international students. Our residences provide accommodation in a home-like setting where boarding students can find “A Home Away from Home”. Our boarding facilities provide students a safe and clean environment under the supervision of an affectionate resident warden to ensure that all students are well taken care of.
Our weekend and evening programmes offers different fun and educational activities that help ensure the best possible learning opportunities for the students.
Our high school is committed to helping each student with their university placement requirements. The University Preparation Program is designed to identify and prepare the Grades 11 and 12 students to reach their post-secondary goals. Experienced guidance counsellors offer assistance to the students and help them select the most suitable programmes for their college and university study.
- Offer suggestions and advice to the students in accordance to their education plan
- Assist students in the selection of universities according to their strengths and interests
- Guide students through the university application process
- Help students with scholarship applications
- Arrange seminars from different universities to provide the students with information about the programs offered as well as admission requirements
- Provide free workshops on university application, university programs, and university life.
- Arrange university tours for the students.